Tuning The Piano…
When it comes to making changes in Life and Business, we can get off to a good start, we set the goal, we make the changes we want and we start to progress towards the goal but then after a while we can start to drift; it becomes harder to stay on-track; we lose focus and we go back to our old ways and we don’t achieve the goal.
Maybe you can relate to this? - perhaps you’ve had a health goal such as losing weight or a finance goal such as stopping over-spending or a business goal such as developing and implementing a particular business strategy and you’ve tried to achieve these goals before but after a while it just doesn’t seem to happen and you give up. Why?
Well, this question often comes up in coaching sessions with my clients and in these situations, I like to talk about “Tuning the piano” - which is a metaphor/story that Tony Robbins once talked about.
So, here goes…
There was once a lady who bought an old piano, it was out of tune so she hired a piano tuner to come and visit. The piano tuner tuned the piano and it sounded perfect. She was happy.
As the piano tuner left, he said “I’ll come back next week to tune the piano again”.
The lady said “OK” - she didn’t really think about it and carried on with her day.
A week later the piano tuner came back, the piano was out of tune, and he tuned the piano. Again, it sounded great and the lady was pleased.
As the piano tuner was leaving again, he said “I’ll come back the same time next week to tune the piano”.
The lady said “OK….see you then” but this time with a puzzled look on her face.
The next week the piano tuner came back and tuned the piano again.
As the piano tuner was leaving the lady said, “So I guess you’ll be coming back next week then?”
The piano tuner said, “Yes” with a warm smile on his face.
The lady asked, “Why do you need to keep coming back to tune the piano?”
The piano tuner said “Well the piano has been tuned in the wrong way for such a long time that I need to keep coming back to tune it until it stays that way”.
I like to use this story to help clients understand the importance of “tuning” themselves so that after a period of time they continue down the path towards their goal and achieve it without going back to their old ways and giving up - it is just like tuning a piano.
Here is a simple 5-step process you can use to keep yourself “tuned” towards your goal:
- Decide on the goal - Note - the definition of “Decision” actually has Latin roots. The meaning of the word “decide” comes from the Latin word, decidere, which is a combination of two words: de = ‘OFF’ + caedere = ‘CUT’ CUT + OFF = DECISION! To decide literally means to CUT OFF everything except the things that matter most - e.g. the attainment of the goal. This concept can be so powerful once we start applying it in our lives, especially when setting a goal.
- Write it down - studies have been carried out on goal-setting that writing down a goal significantly increases your chances of success. Check-out this article from Forbes on writing down goals Forbes - Why should you write down your goals?
- Schedule it - diarise the action towards your goal so that you have a reminder to carry-out the action/s in your calendar/diary. This could be a weekly reminder for example. This reminder is also an opportunity to check-in on your progress towards your goal.
- Commit to a friend - there is nothing like putting yourself on the spot and committing to a goal to help give you the energy and momentum towards attaining it. If you are not aware, I set myself a goal in August to go out of my comfort zone and get myself in-front of the camera more as I was procrastinating about recording videos! So, I committed publicly on social media to go for this goal - I had no choice but to work towards it! The decision was made! Check-out my final vlog challenge video to see the goal achieved - VLOG Challenge - Day 100 of 100 - Vlog Challenge Insights . So, once you’ve decided on your goal, why not commit this to a close friend?
- Keep trying - sometimes things don’t go according to plan - but don’t give up - it’s just life challenging you! Adjust your approach and try something different - if that doesn’t work - try something different - keep on doing this until you find the write actions. This is the “magic formula”.
Coaching is also a fabulous way to keep on-track towards a goal so that you stay “tuned”.
If you are interested in making changes in your life or business; and would like to discuss how Coaching could help you well, why not book a FREE Coaching Strategy Session with me.
Just click on the link below:
If you’d like to sign-up to receive my blog where you’ll receive useful tips and strategies on creating success in life and business just CLICK HERE.
I hope you have a great day!
“Never give up... No one knows what's going to happen next.”